Komen Invests in Simple Grains, Exotic Nanoparticles

You may know that for every contribution made to Komen Columbus, 75 percent funds breast cancer education, treatment services and screening in central and southeastern Ohio. The remaining 25 percent funds scientific research on the global level and just this past week, Susan G. Komen for the Cure® announced it is providing $59 million in 2010 research grants to 65 institutions, adding to the nearly $500 million the organization has invested in research funding globally over the past 30 years.    

Thanks to your contributions, some of the grants receiving funding include $5 million shared by Kansas and Texas researchers to see whether flax seed, a common ingredient in cereal and bread, can prevent breast cancer as well as $5 million to Dana-Farber Cancer Institute in Boston to test a promising class of drugs called PARP inhibitors to stop breast cancer’s spread. 

All told, Komen’s $59 million 2010 research commitment will fund 115 research projects around the world.  

“We have a tremendous urgency to find the cures and to create a world where no one has to face breast cancer ever again,” said Ambassador Nancy G. Brinker, founder and CEO of Susan G. Komen for the Cure. “As we have for many years, we are again funding innovative research into prevention, while we also ask scientists to find better ways to screen for breast cancer, and better ways to effectively treat this disease. As far as we’ve come, we have much more to learn to unlock the secrets of how this disease forms and spreads.”  

The wide spectrum of research to be funded this year by Komen includes:  

  • Treatment and outcome disparities (age, racial, ethnic) among women with breast cancer
  • Improvements in diagnostic and screening approaches (biomarkers, new imaging techniques)
  • Targeted therapies
  • Characterization of breast subtypes
  • Drug resistance and metastasis   

Specific projects in the grants slate address the following:  

  • Breast cancer in African-American and Native American women
  • Establishing mammography guidelines for women 65 and older
  • Sending drugs directly into breast tumors 
  • New prevention strategies for triple negative breast cancer    

Grants awarded by Komen for the Cure undergo a rigorous peer-review process by groups of laboratory scientists, clinicians and advocates.

Thanks for your support as we work toward finding a cure for breast cancer!

Advertisements