Thirty enthusiastic and committed people have come together to form one spirited team running down breast cancer! The inaugural Komen Columbus Marathon for the Cure Team is gearing up to hit the streets of Columbus at the Columbus Marathon on October 17th.
Who are we? We are 30 strong: 5 men and 25 women, including two breast cancer survivors. We are all Buckeyes, most from Central Ohio and a few from around the state. There are 17 of us doing the half-marathon and 13 full marathoners. We are walkers and runners. For many, this is the first step into the world of distance events. Others are veterans of the “trials of miles”.
We walk and run in memory of loved ones and as a celebration of health and survivorship. Here are just a few of the many inspirations for our commitment to this team:
- “In honor of my mom”
- “I am a five year survivor and would like to honor this anniversary”
- “To bring awareness that you can support Komen in more than a 5k”
- “Raising money for a worthwhile cause pushes me just a little farther in training”
- “To get rid of breast cancer forever”
- “My grandmother was a breast cancer survivor and my aunt currently battles this terrible disease”
- “In memory and in honor of those who have won and lost battles with breast cancer”
- “Motivation to stay in shape for a great cause”
- “Breast cancer has plagued my family for years”
- “To fund research for breast cancer”
- “I want to start running and always try to do Columbus Race for the Cure”
What do we have in common? We share the goal of raising awareness and making a difference through Susan G. Komen for the Cure. Most of us have trained for the big day for four or five months – that’s a lot of miles and steps toward our goal!
We are grateful for the support and tolerance of our families and friends during this training and so very thankful to those that have supported our fundraising efforts. Each of us has a minimum goal of $250 and a lofty team goal of $10,000. We are now almost 45 percent of the way there!
To donate to the Komen Columbus Marathon for the Cure Team, please click here.
We are fortunate to have a group of 51 excited and pinked-up volunteers at the Mile 2 Water Stop to help us hydrate and cheer us on. Get involved! Support our runners and walkers with your cheers at the race on October 17th – it’s going to be a great day!
Patricia Stafford, MD
Komen Columbus Marathon for the Cure Team Co-Captain