Community Health Grantee Program and KYP Members Meet

Members of the Komen Young Professionals committee work hard every month to organize a variety of activities to engage

Director of Community Outreach Megan Knapke shares what your Race registration and donation dollars support.

a new generation of breast cancer advocates and volunteers. The events range from educational to social to activism, and this month’s quarterly meeting featured a combination of those themes. New and existing members mingled with one another before the program began and soon heard from Chasity Cooper, program director for the Sister Screen Saver Program and this month’s community health grantee spotlight.

The theme of the KYP event was to reiterate the fact that 75 percent of all race registration and donation dollars support local programming, with the remaining 25 percent funding scientific research to find a cure. One of the programs who benefits locally is the Sister Screen Saver Program.

Program Director Chasity Cooper presents information on the project.

In an effort to reduce the health disparity in breast cancer among African American women, this program, coordinated through The Ohio State University James Cancer Hospital, Diversity Enhancement Program, aims to provide on-site mobile mammography screening services at local community churches and use culturally tailored information to educate African-American women about breast cancer prevention and early detection. The program also provides information on local resources where free or low-cost mammograms and support services can be obtained.

The program primarily screens African American women in Franklin county, but its mobile units have never turned down a woman who needs a mammogram or education based on her race or ethnicity.

Current goals of the program include:

  • 100 females will obtain an age-appropriate mammography screening via on-site mobile mammography screening unit or referral to a BCCP or BEST (other screening programs) over a 12-month period.
  • 100 females will attend a breast health awareness class session over a 12-month period.
  • Participants will demonstrate a 25% increase in knowledge about mammography screening and self breast-examination as measured by pre- and post-class assessments.

Program organizers created an image they distribute electronically to women to encourage them to use as a screen saver or wall paper on their computer in the hopes that it will prompt them to schedule or maintain regular mammograms.

The Sister Screen Saver Program Image

Education materials provided include information on the importance of screening, knowing your body, healthy lifestyle choices and basic breast health including information on Triple Negative Breast Cancer, a type of the disease that more often strikes young and African American women.

The following education programs have been scheduled through the grantee:

  • Love Zion Church – July 19th at 10 am
  • New Birth Christian Ministries – October 15th at noon
  • Corinthian Church – TBD October 2011
  • Refuge Baptist Church – October 8th at 6pm
  • Barnett Road Baptist Church – December 10th  at 1 pm
  • Antioch Baptist Church – TBD Feb/March 2012

Thanks to Chasity for a great presentation on how her program is positively affecting the community and to Maria Massenelli and Danielle Wampler, the KYP volunteer committee co-chairs, for organizing the event. The next KYP quarterly meeting will be on Saturday, September 17 and will be a little different than previous meetings – stay tuned for all the fun details!

Advertisements