Thinking about joining a Race for the Cure team or making a donation, but not sure exactly what you’re supporting? Let us explain.
Why Komen Columbus?
- Seventeen of our 30 counties are designated as Appalachian; women in these communities face poverty, educational and insurance crises.
- More than 15 percent of the women living in the Komen Columbus service area are uninsured.
- Fourteen of our counties have more people below the poverty level than both the state and national average. Nineteen are above the state average. Ten rank worst in the state.
- Five of the counties we serve have the highest mortality rates in the state.
- We have below-average screening rates and above-average, late-stage diagnoses in the majority of our 30 counties.
How You Can Help
In the last two years we proudly awarded almost $3 million in grants to organizations that deliver services that might not otherwise be available. Thanks to your donations and Race registrations, in 2011 our funds provided the following services to under-served women:
- Performed or referred more than 6,472 women for mammograms
- Performed 1,164 clinical breast exams
- Funded more than 1,162 diagnostic procedures including ultrasounds, biopsies and MRIs
- Detected 127 breast cancers
- Provided 540 women with treatment assistance
Wondering where your money has gone on a National level?
- Susan G. Komen for the Cure is currently funding 572 research projects totaling more than $300 million worldwide.
- Since 1982, Komen has funded $685 million in scientific research and is the largest non-governmental funder of breast cancer research in the world
Wondering who exactly that has helped? Meet Bridget.
Bridget is 29 years old and lives in Boston. She is married to her college sweetheart and recently adopted a puppy. Bridget is here because of your donations and Race for the Cure registrations.
In 2005, one week after graduating from college, Bridget was diagnosed with Stage 4 Metastatic Breast Cancer at the age of 22. Since then, she has been on 15 different drugs, all of which have been funded in part by Komen.
We recently had the honor of hearing Bridget speak, and wanted to share her message with you.
Thanks to your support, Bridget, along with millions of other men and women, have been helped by Komen funding throughout the years.
We remain focused on our mission to end breast cancer and hope you’ll join us in the fight.
Have additional questions or concerns? Contact email@example.com.